After Reading [The Lottery]

The Lottery, By Shirley Jackson, 1948

Rate: 8/10

 When I first read the title, I thought it would be a lucky draw. But when I read the ending, I couldn't shut up in shock. 


 Not only in Korea but also in any country, society began from an agricultural society and has the custom of holding rituals that whishing rain and festivals for a good harvest. Traditions and customs are hard to change. But the wrong tradition and wrong perception must change. The village in "Lottery" has caused innocent victims every year under the name of 'tradition'. But no one rebelled against this custom, and silently sympathized with it. In this part, I think I felt a great fear of crowd psychology and the seriousness of the uncritical attitude. Is it right to sacrifice one person for everyone's happiness? The main character of this lottery can be me or my family, but after reading the story, I think I was really surprised by the madness hidden under people's expressions. 

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

After Reading [Eveline]

After reading [Araby]

After Reading [The Sisters]